Sometimes it's extremely hard for me to let go. There are things in my life that I feel like I'll never be able to truly surrender to the Lord. It's a daily struggle to try and steer my thoughts towards what is important in life. I believe this is true for all of us in one sense or another. We all struggle with moving on from things past. Life is made up of moments, memories, precious times. The problem is, they never last. Then when all we can do is look behind, we become unsatisfied that the time didn't last longer.... that we didn't soak it up enough. But this is life. We must treasure the past, but we shouldn't live in the past. For some reason, this has been my struggle lately. Either I am dwelling on times gone by, or dreaming of the future. What's wrong with this? I am missing the present. And the present is a gift. Before you know it, the present becomes your past, and then find yourself once again looking behind again. Can you see this circular pattern? It's hard to get out of if you're not careful. I believe there is only one solution: contentment. We must strive to be content in whatever state we are in, because God has given us this present time for a reason. We are commanded in Scripture to "redeem the time"! So how do we become content? There is only one way: look to Christ. He is the author and finisher of your life. He knows your past, present, and future.... it is all in His hands and everything is under His control. I have seen His hand in my life time and time again, and He never ceases to amaze me. The moment I think He doesn't care about me, He shows me His love. The moment I think He has forgotten about me, He shows me He is near. When all hope is lost, and I can see nothing but my sin, He comforts my soul and offers forgiveness. All is vain in this life, and all things this side of heaven will perish. Only Jesus is steadfast, enduring, everlasting. And all my times are in His hand. And I can rest in that fact.
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Focus.
Sometimes it's extremely hard for me to let go. There are things in my life that I feel like I'll never be able to truly surrender to the Lord. It's a daily struggle to try and steer my thoughts towards what is important in life. I believe this is true for all of us in one sense or another. We all struggle with moving on from things past. Life is made up of moments, memories, precious times. The problem is, they never last. Then when all we can do is look behind, we become unsatisfied that the time didn't last longer.... that we didn't soak it up enough. But this is life. We must treasure the past, but we shouldn't live in the past. For some reason, this has been my struggle lately. Either I am dwelling on times gone by, or dreaming of the future. What's wrong with this? I am missing the present. And the present is a gift. Before you know it, the present becomes your past, and then find yourself once again looking behind again. Can you see this circular pattern? It's hard to get out of if you're not careful. I believe there is only one solution: contentment. We must strive to be content in whatever state we are in, because God has given us this present time for a reason. We are commanded in Scripture to "redeem the time"! So how do we become content? There is only one way: look to Christ. He is the author and finisher of your life. He knows your past, present, and future.... it is all in His hands and everything is under His control. I have seen His hand in my life time and time again, and He never ceases to amaze me. The moment I think He doesn't care about me, He shows me His love. The moment I think He has forgotten about me, He shows me He is near. When all hope is lost, and I can see nothing but my sin, He comforts my soul and offers forgiveness. All is vain in this life, and all things this side of heaven will perish. Only Jesus is steadfast, enduring, everlasting. And all my times are in His hand. And I can rest in that fact.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so true. I discovered this very thing last week as well. I was so excited about spring break and next year, and missing things from last summer, and i realized that i was missing out on the here and now.
So, true...all we have is the here and now...enjoy it, while it is called today. We are making memories right now. The past is gone and we don't know the future, all we have is now. While on this journey, don't miss out on opportunities to show love and give God Glory, (which is the only thing that will last).
Our focus should not be on us, but on Him and doing His will for our lives. Pray for God to direct your footsteps, one step at a time.
Thank you for sharing. :) I was thinking on my past just a few moments ago and everyone will always struggle with it but, our hope is in Christ. I'm thankful for the memories and precious moments Christ is letting me have now. They may not last but at least they happened and at least we can look back at most of them with joy. :)
Post a Comment