What do you think about “Christian Rock” music?
Over the years, it seems I have gotten used to “Christian” music that is more and more “rocky”. Here’s the argument: It’s “Christian music” and the lyrics are about the Lord. I know some like Switchfoot and Lifehouse can go either way, those are another story (although I like Switchfoot but sometimes have seconds thoughts about them for some reason). I’m talking about the Christian Rock Music, that sounds like rock but is labeled Christian and sings Christian lyrics. Is it wrong? You decide.
Apparently this one web-site I came across is really against Christian Rock:
http://www.av1611.org/crock.htmlInteresting.

51 comments:
Wow! Huge question!
First off, I think that the music we listen to while working out or cleaning the house, etc. should be entirly different than the music we sing to worship the Lord on Sunday during the worship service. This means that even though Bach and Vivaldi created beautiful music that we still appreciate todday and it is FAR from rock and roll, i still would be opposed to performing "classical" music during the worship service. The Bible says that Psalm, hymns and spiritual songs are to be used when worshipping God.
On the other hand, I also believe worshipping and delighting in our Savior is something that we should do 24/7. This is part of taking every thought captive (2Cor. 10:5) So this would mean that lyrics that blaspheme that name of God is unacceptable. Sorry, no Linkin Park!
I also believe that the ochestration of music, regardless of the genre, should always be done with excellence. Drums and electric guitar can and often are abused, but I think that they can truly be used to bring praise to God.
In addition, music is cultural and is constantly changing. For example, listen to a Michael W Smith song from the late
70's and then listen to one from today. Very different sounds! This still applies. I believe the music played in the temple in Jesus' time was dramatically different than that of even the most conservative music played today. Even semi-recently, people like Charles Spergeon would be horrified to learn that churches use a piano and/or an organ to lead in the singing during the worship service.
So in short, though I haven't really worked this subject out in my own head, I think that the Bible is never changing and that truth and facts don't change either. However, different people are in different boats, having different circumstances. If listening to Third Day, Lifehouse or Switchfoot is hindering a person's walk with God, by all means STOP!
The same would apply to the movies we watch. Just ask yourself, "Does this present a 'moral' message? Knowing morality doesn't exist outside of the Christian Faith.
Wow I said a lot. If I get boring, just tune me out.
Good Question.
Brant
Interesting question. I've been concentrating on a lot of different things lately, like how to spend my time more effectively, focusing on reading more, preparing for the school year, practicing music...ect. Truth is, I haven't thought much about "Christian Rock" music. Most of the people I like listening to don't seem to have a problem with that, and when I do listen to "rockier" christian music, its usually for exercising. Groups like TobyMac or Switchfoot, do seem a bit rockier, but for me they are nice when I have a hard job to do or am working out, but usually I wouldn't choose to listen to them for like background music or things like so. At camp, I ended up listening to more of my share of """christian"" (haha) ROCK music, which makes groups like switchfoot and TobyMac pale in comparison. I looked at a couple of the kid's ipods there, and did not recognize hardly ANY artists or albums, and the song titles spoke for themselves.... It was fairly sad, and you can defiently tell that it makes a difference on people's lives what kind of music they listen too.
Anyway, back to your question (sorry Im such a side-tracker) its hard to know whether christian "rock" music is wrong or right. When there is no Bible verse saying "Rock music is wrong", or something to that effect, it usually is hard to discern. I think its really up to the convictions the person has about different music. I have some friends who never listen to "christian rock", but at the same time love country music which has no christian morals whatsoever.....while on the other hand I have other friends who like MUCH rockier music than I would feel comfortable listening too, but everyone's different and has different opinions, so what I should try to do is not JUDGE them for having their own convictions, but worry about myself and trying to obey the Holy Spirit's leading.
Well that was a LONG answer...but it was a thought provoking question:-) Hope your having a great week.
-Arya
One more thing, I forgot to point out that there wasn't anything I could do about the music at the camp. Wherever there were staff members and a radio, you would usually come across some music. The music that I listened to there really wasn't my choice:-) Esp. while working in the kitchen...lol.
-Jordan
What about all the great hymns that were based on melodies and music from "bar tunes" of the day? Do we cut those from the hymnal?
What about country Christian? Country music for the most part glorifies drinking, partying...etc... the same things Rock is often cited for. Should we cut out all Southern Gospel because of it? (I would love to answer that question yes, but it would make e a hypocrite)
Lets apply the standard to another art form just for the sake of comparison.......
What about all those cute Christian t-shirts that take a popular companies logo and change a word or phrase in it to make it "Christian". Some of those company logos belong to parent corporations that support organizations and agendas that are anti Biblical.
-------------
I am not trying to be a smart-alec. (even that phrase, "smart-alac", is traced back to and references pimp and thief Alec Hoag, so should we stop using it?)My point is, when we apply reasoning and not scripture, we can make anything we want bad or good, but it's especially to make things seem bad.
The problem, is that the very reasoning that made these things seem bad can be applied to other things. (for example, southern gospel and the hymns I mentioned before, and I could have gone further)
We have to apply scripture, not reasoning in these cases. If reasoning is our guide, then all of us who believe in an invisible God and call it faith are nuts!
There is a simple test that applies to all music and not just rock...
1)Do the lyrics contradict scriptural Truth?
That pretty much sums it up.
Anyway, I have much more to say on the subject, but I must get back to work...
One more question before I go....
The first song I sang at Paw-Paw's the other night, the one everyone said was great. It' was just me and a guitar, but the full version of that song is very "rockin". Knowing that about the song now, does it change your opinion of it??
Much Love,
Your Cuz
Oh, by the way....
I know you both like Tenth Ave North.
Did you know that the video for "Love Is Here" was filmed here in Birmingham? (just down the road from my office, on the top of the Tutwiller hotel)
Wow, this is a hard question... well, not hard, because I know my opinion on it but it would take some time to write a reply and Amanda is being kind enough to let me borrow her pc so my time is short. I will say I think a lot of the contemporary "Christian" artists today are way too self-glorifying and too worldly. They aren't separate from the world. The only thing, if even, that separates them is the lyrics, which with some bands they write songs about Christ and songs about this girl who broke up with her boyfriend, etc. Christ call us to be different. To not be conformed to this world. I think it's a lame excuse to dress like the world, do things like the world to reach out to the world. Christ greatest example was the way he simply lived, spoke, and prayed. That was it. I think those mentioned artists are in it for fame and glory, and since they say they're Christian then people disregard what their music is about and how worldly they are. They do what feels good, and if it benefits the Kingdom of God than it's a plus. It's sad and I'm not just saying this as someone who just judgemental or is "holier-than-thou" because I do like some of the punk-rock songs, but I have stayed away from them because ones like Sandie-Hawkins-Dance by Relient K is just for fun and it does not glorify Christ.
Sorry for any typos or missing words... I wrote this quickly. :D
@ Miss Jocelyn
First let me say, that I enjoy reading your posts and in no way mean to be rude with the following, I just disagree....
But if we can not listen to music that is fun for the sake of fun, then what about playing a game like Uno? Or watching the Veggie tales silly songs?
I see where you are coming from, and please understand I mean no disrespect, but if that is the standard that you apply to music, it has to be the standard you apply to everything in life.
Can't play kickball, basketball, can't watch anything on TV or movies. Andy Griffith was funny for the sake of entertainment, so it's out by that standard.
As an artist, (http://www.randywebb.net if you are interested) and a Christian. I don't paint crosses all the time. As a matter of fact, I hardly paint anything overtly "Christian". While they have deep spiritual significance to me, anybody else wouldn't have a clue what the mean unless I tell them. I also paint in a very modern style. Not once has my painting ever come under the same scrutiny as the music of some Christian recording artist's. And it is because our application of Truth is not consistent.
I would be honored if you would look at my website and my art and tell me what your opinion of my art is. Is it OK to look at for Christians or not? If you follow the standard you set for music it is not.
Respectfully, your brother in Christ,
Randy Webb
Wow, this is a very touchy subject. There's lots of opinions and lots that can be said about it. But I am glad you brought it up. I think it's important as well....
First of all, I realize you are mainly addressing the "music" in Christian songs in your question. Obviously, there's basically two parts of a song: the lyrics and the music behind it. I am going to address both since others have mentioned the lyric part as well.
I agree with Brantley that the music we choose to listen to during the week and the music played at Church should be different, period. These modern "contemporary" Sunday worship songs don't cut it. They are not honoring. They might be fine for throughout the week, but during Church, I don't think it is.
However, in my opinion, any songs that are purposed to worship God should be REVERENTIAL no matter where you listen to it or sing it. You are worshiping the King of Kings and Lord of Lords--it should be honoring to Him. You could have wonderful, worshipful lyrics, but the music can be hard rock and that changes the whole entire song. I love Jeremy Camp, but I once heard a worship song on the radio that he turned into rock. It bugged me so! If Jesus was standing right in front of you (which He is) and you could see him and you desired to worship Him, from all songs would you start singing and playing heavy rock tunes? I hope not. Most likely you'd be so humbled to be in front of a Holy God (which we are and should be!!), that the song you played or sung would be most likely be worshipful. Reverential. Honoring. Hard rock with good lyrics is not worshipful. It's not giving the glory He deserves.
So obviously, I am against hard rock. What about rock beats in Christian songs in general with Christian messages? It really varies to people what they consider "rock." I've heard very lights beats in good Christian songs that Christians label "ROCK," which I would have to totally disagree on being "rock." For myself, it just depends how strong the beat is. If the "dum, dum, dum, dum, dum," beat in the background is blazing out the singer's voice, then that's obviously too much. If the song sounds just like the world, then something also is wrong. I don't have my music down perfect, obviously, so I can't really explain it all. I wonder if Casting Crowns is considered "Christian rock?" Some might say they are. I have nothing wrong with them and their songs. They're actually one of my favorite groups. So I dunno. It just depends...
About the lyrics: plain and simple they should be glorifying to God. But I see the thought Randy is trying to impose: All songs are not about the Lord---but is it o.k. to listen to them? I can think of songs that don't speak directly about the Lord that I like. "Rocky Top TN." was one that popped in my mind (don't ask me why--lol). "My Little Girl" by Tim Mcgraw is another one. If it's not "Christian" and it doesn't speak directly about the Lord, is it o.k. to listen to it? It depends. We must judge all things by Scripture. So if it's moral and doesn't contradict the Bible, I guess it's o.k. as long as the "music" behind it is uplifting as well. That's important! I still limit most of my music to just "Christian" because obviously: most music these days are NOT honoring to the Lord. Sure there's some, but most aren't. That rules out most secular songs, rock, country, and rap because of LYRICS and MUSIC. They both are important and we can't rule out one or forget the other. They both go hand in hand.
What about the singers behind the music? That's another subject. I know exactly what Jocelyn is talking about. I see bands that might have great lyrics but the cover of their CD could get lost in the "secular" or "rock" department because you can tell no difference in their appearance to the world. If the Lord is working in your heart, He will eventually give you the desire to change your appearance to match it. We represent Christ, not the world, and we need to look like it too.
And lastly: I think Jordan (Arya) made a great point about not judging others but worrying about ourselves and our own convictions when it comes to our music. Sure, we should encourage others in this subject, because music is powerful and it shapes us. But when it comes down to just Christian music, everyone has their own convictions. Most of the contemporary Christian stuff out there is debatable. It is a really opinionated subject since like Jordan said, it's not clear in the Bible whether rock is o.k. or not. Yes, the Bible is clear about the music in the church, but not what kind of music we can allow in our daily lives. It's also true what Brantley said: if it bothers your conscious and your walk with God, don't listen to it, even if it might not bother a lot of other believers (based on a passage in Romans.)
Anyway, so, those are basically my thoughts. Sorry this was so long and sorry if what I said didn't make any sense.
This is a good discussion! I hope we keep it going...
Everyone made some great points!
I think we have to be very careful with "Christian Rock" music!
Remember Word Pictures? LOL. What we learned is that, "rock" music
is a product of rebellion, drugs, sex, occult and just a lot of confusion!!
Why would we want to copy that and call it "Christian"?
Come out and be separate. Why look and act like the world?
Music, in the Bible, is a source of praise. Praise to HIM! We should ask ourselves, Does this glorify the Lord? Does this make a melody in my heart to Him?
"Speaking to yourselves in psalms, hymns, spiritual songs, singing, and making melody in your heart.
You wrote:
"Over the years, it seems I have gotten used to “Christian” music that is more and more “rocky”
Do this test: Fast from all music,
except from church or hymns for one week or longer. Pray, and then listen to your music and see if it is offensive to you. Sometimes I think we get desensitized. I really expect you to do this test. I think you will really be surprised at the results.
I have more to say...maybe later. :)
Love ya!
I think I mentioned it in an earlier post, but some Hymns that we listen to today and think are much more Reverential than modern styles of music, were actually secular songs of the day with new "Christian" lyrics written on top of them. This practice was widely accepted and actually practiced by Martin Luther of all people.
Again, I am not saying "they did it, so we can". "They" are not my standard. The Bible is.
Ignoring the history of some of our beloved hymns, they are still modern when considering the style of music that would have been played in Jesus time. So if modern worship songs like "Here I am to Worship" are inappropriate for church then Hymns are too. We MUST apply the same standard. If
My main points earlier were about music as art. Christians who made music as art and how we judge it.
I have trouble with things being defined outside of the Bible. Any time we place "STYLE" (cloths, music, art, etc...) as a defining character of Christianity and it is not clearly laid out in scripture we create a problem.
What is modern? What is worldly? Who defines it if scripture doesn't. I know that I don't want to place myself that high above scripture.
Forget the rock image for a second. Why do men wear ties with their suits? It has no function other than adornment. It's modern in it's origin (around the 1600's) and only "For Looks" so why do we consider it something respectful to wear.
The modern suit, didn't appear until early last century. (the 20th) It is worn by crooked salesman, crooked business men and was practically a uniform for the mob.
Uh, Oh.... this whole "look like the world" thing is starting to get slippery....
Is it possible that being Christlike has more to do with our actions than our looks or style?
Yes, there are hymns that are un-biblical and some "fluff", that's for sure!
God has given us some great hymns that have stood the test of time and
are very deep in meaning.
There is nothing wrong with the new stuff, if it is truth.
There is a "standard" that each family has in music, art, dress, etc.
Art, dress, music, can be neutral or used for good or evil.
As for as music, a Christian rock ballad, like Casting Crowns might sing,
is fine for me. The lyrics to "Who Am I" is so beautiful! But, there is a line
somewhere, and the 'heavy metal', slam bang, knock your head off and
'Christian Rap" is disturbing to me. Are we sensitive to the Holy Spirit in
our music? Lots of style of music out there..does it
tell truth and is it honoring to the Lord?
You're right Gena....
I want to be clear. I am not defending "Rock". I am just trying to say it's less about style, more about heart.
You could find just as much "showmanship" and self aggrandizement in Southern Gospel music as rock.
And, worn by a person with a wrong heart and motive, a suit can be just as worldly as spiked up hair.
It's more about which artist and less about which genre.
I know you were not saying this, but I feel like some people believe "If it's not Rock or Rap" it's OK. Because that's a dangerous way to make decisions about what we listen to.
I wished you guys lived closer, or we could come up there more. I enjoy sitting around the living room and talking about this kind of stuff in person. It's so hard to finish a thought when your typing in short bursts on the internet. But I hope this reply sums up what I tried to say in those really lengthy posts above...
Love you guys/gals,
Randy
@ Randy Webb
First I'd like to say that whether or not it's in the Bible, everything we do should be for HIS glory and glorifying HIM. It shouldn't be just for "feel goods" or for fun.
I pretty much agree with Gena on this. “Music, in the Bible, is a source of praise. Praise to HIM! We should ask ourselves, Does this glorify the Lord? Does this make a melody in my heart to Him?“ I think the answer to that question for the punk/rock musicians is, as I said before, “They do what feels good, and if it benefits the Kingdom of God than it's a plus”. The sole purpose of music is to praise God. It’s not to have fun and really, can anyone disagree that songs like “Rawk Fist” or “Sandie-Hawkins-Dances” are truly pointless and really just for “feel goods”?
Isaiah 43:7
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
Honestly, yeah anything “fun” can be considered sin or something that doesn’t glorify God. I think it’s a heart issue. These musicians have traded in being like Christ, in whole, and being separate from the world for fame and money. The Bible says in the ends days all will be accepted and the Anti-Christ will bring a peace to satisfy the nations. There will be some Christians who Christ says “depart from me I know you not” because they didn’t live as he would have.
In my house our time is not spent watching videos, playing games, or listening to music, unless it‘s songs about HIM solely and don‘t get you all hyped in a way people do at a rock-concert. IF the Littles are allowed to watch a movie it's a Bible story. We don't do Veggie Tales because of the silliness it brings. If we watch a movie it's usually a historical one for our educational benefit. Games - well, we are far too busy keeping house, taking care of farm animals, and working outside to play games. Not too mention we write for a Christian magazine, run several homeschool sites, and I design websites and just launched http://feelinfeminine.com. We aren’t allowed to just being online for fun. We can write in our journal (blogs), which we usually write about something having to do with Spiritual matters, but being on social networks, like facebook, chatting, and other timewasters aren’t allowed. We don’t watch sports or participate in a organized program because there is far too much worldliness in them. Watching sports on TV takes hours and hours away from time you could be spending with your family as does participating in organized sports, not too mention any explicit ads you see on TV. If the Littles want to go outside and throw a ball they can.
Does this mean we don’t have fun doing all of the above mentioned? Uh, no, I have so much fun getting to share my Spiritual battles and struggles. Getting to share my life and being an example through it. Getting encouragement and encouraging others. In everything I do I strive to bring glory to God and if *I* have than it’s a plus!
A lot of people wouldn’t make it in my own home. We are not self-indulgent people and probably would be consider very strict, but God calls us to be holy as he his holy. It’s not about US. It’s about HIM.
As for your art... you aren’t “conforming” to the world that would separate you from Christ, and since they do have a “ deep spiritual significance” to you you have opportunity to share Christ with those who may ask about the art.
Unfortunately we have different opinions on the matter and after reading this you will most likely still disagree. I have seen a few of your comments on here that I heartily disagree with, but you’re not my charge. While I care about your soul it’s not my place to direct your path or tell you what’s what. I am responsible for me and I will answer, not for you, but me when we stand at the judgment throne.
Like I said it’s a heart-issue and being spiritually mature and able to discern if it’s please and glorifying to Christ.
@Miss Jocelyn
Thanks for your reply!
First, let me say, I made the mistake of assuming that the stand you took with music wasn't one you took in all parts of life. According to your post, not only do I stand corrected, but Humbled!
I am not sure if you read all of my posts since the first reply, but we are not as different as you might think.
1)I nor my Wife wear jewelry of any kind (for me, this includes ties lol)
2)Her dresses go to her ankles..
3)I hardly ever wear shorts and when I do, it's here at the house.
4)I don't think I've worn a tank top or gone without a shirt since I was a teen.
In short, we believe in modesty and the pursuit of knowing God more which results in Holiness. (the more time you spend with Him, the more you become like him)
To quote/expand my last post/reply "It's less about the genre and more about the artist and their heart" I was saying that the Christian "Rock" genre doesn't have a monopoly on un-biblical messages and unless we were willing to stand against the others too, what was the point. (I wish I would have worded it that way the first time)
We may not agree on all points( anything "fun" being sin)but I hope you have not miss read the tone of my posts.
I said in an earlier reply....
"Is it possible that being Christlike has more to do with our actions than our looks or style?
I worded it "MORE" on purpose because to a point, I do believe it is applicable because scripture calls for it.
But I can't look at an album cover and know the hearts of those bands and where they stand with Christ. I don't know them personally, and I have not seen the way they live their life. Only God knows their heart and I have to trust him to guide me in decisions I make about listening to their music. There false prophets out there who have the Christlike image down pat, and if I make my decision about them on image alone I am in trouble.
I hope I have made myself more clear....
And to you last point....
"While I care about your soul it’s not my place to direct your path or tell you what’s what."
Please don't ever feel that way. We are supposed to go to each other when we feel like our brothers and sisters are headed down a wrong path. A great deal of the new testament (outside the gospels) are the disciples doing exactly that.
I appreciate both your concern and your input. If we, Brothers and Sisters in Christ, are not watching out for each other then who will? The world surely won't. Go and make disciples.... If I need discipling, I expect you to throw things at me until I submit....LOL
It's so hard to read the "tone of someones voice" on the internet. Sometimes I assume because Holy, Gena, & Brooke are family they can see through the typed words even if we disagree on something, but I often forget that people I don't know might not get it as well...
Respecfully yours,
Randy W.
Hello Miss Holly -
I was very glad to hear from you too. I was glad you stopped by and commented. :)
Thank you for your comment about my template. I wanted Jocelyn to make me a new template, but she is still learning how to do CSS. SO, I am waiting for her to learn! And, no I don't mind if you add my blog to your blogroll. I have two other blogs too, if you want those URLs to add too. :)
Haha, I love the song too. I wish I knew how to play the violin. It would be so much fun! But, alas, I am music-less... I am pitiful I know. Wanna stop by and teach me a bit? lol wish you could.
Hope you have a great week too!
Love,
Rachel
@ Randy Webb - I guess I shoulda used Mr. Webb before as I didn't realize you weren't a teen. I do apologize. I can promise I don't go debating older gentlemen (or any gentlemen at all for that matter). :)
I can tell you in regards to our human nature it is hard being a Christian. It's hard giving up the things that are pleasurable, yet sinful. I'm glad you and your wife are modest in your dress. Fortunately I am finding more and more who are concerned about that.
So you do or don't think anything "fun" is sin? For the record I don't.
"I can't look at an album cover and know the hearts of those bands and where they stand with Christ. I don't know them personally, and I have not seen the way they live their life. Only God knows their heart"
I agree. I really try to take a look at people before judging or forming my opinion on them. I don't know their heart. Their intentions. Their relationship with Christ. All I know is the way they present themselves and I fear that is conforming to the world, instead of being transformed "by the renewing of your minds" (Romans 12:2). That was the point I was making in my first comment. By presenting themselves as punk rock stars, with earrings, punked hair, and holey (and revealing clothes) they are not setting a distinction between sober, modest Christians because they truly fit right in with the world. The Barlow Girls for example dress in a very provocative way and I don't think God is pleased with it.
"If I need discipline, I expect you to throw things at me until I submit"
My only response to this is 1 Timothy 2:12. :)
I have not read any of the replies on this post as malicious or mean. Just discussion. I hope no one does to mine. It IS hard to discern how someone wrote something online because you can't hear their voice. :)
Blessings,
Miss Jocelyn
NOTE: I missed a word in this sentence last time: "In everything I do I strive to bring glory to God and if *I* have FUNthan it’s a plus!" How typical! :P Sorry for any other missing words.
@Miss Jocelyn
Who said I was a gentleman :)JK
I thought you were saying "anything fun IS sin". Sorry /Glad I misunderstood.
If fun was a sin I'd be in serious trouble!!!
I get the I Timothy 2:12 thing. I meant it more in general even though I referenced myself.
Glad, I didn't come across as mean or angry and I didn't read yours that way either. Keep up the good work your doing for the Lord
Grace & Peace,
Randy
@Holly,
How about tackling some easier issues. I haven't typed this much in a long time. I need to be finishing an Animation for work and you have me thinking and reading and stuff.
Don't you know we all have lives and other things to do, but you keep bringing up energy drinks and rock & roll.....what hot button will you push next???
Trouble maker!!!! JK Keep up the good work!
Love,
Randy
What can I say? I just asked the question. lol. This has been very enjoyable, reading all these wonderful comments and inputs. I didn't expect so many responses!
Interesting post and even more interesting assertions and opinions.
You should all check out Flame. He is a rapper, a christian rapper. The message of his music is the Gospel and is deep and theological and based on scripture.
I think Paul might have something to say concerning the Gospel and the methods of reaching a lost and dying world. (not that all so-called "christian" music is gospel-centered, but if you check out flame314.com you will see that he has a true Gospel ministry with yes, RAP!!!)
1Co 9:22
To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. (NASB)
Hey Holly...
Awesome question, and I think everyone has discussed this too good for me to comment.
Basically, since rock and other genres came from the secular world, then even though they have the label christian, it doesn't mean they are. I mean, have you ever heard of a secular hymn? uhh i didn't think so. Hymn are only about God and praising and worshipping him. Most songs today, including christian worship, are focused on "me" and "my" needs and wants, not on glorifying and praising God.
So since rock, pop, R&B, rap, and all the other genres are secular, you have to agree that even the christianized versions of those are still going to have hints of the secular.
And on a side note...I have noticed many secular radio stations play "christian" rock songs. What does that say about the songs? Aren't we supposed to be set apart, so that man may know that we are different? Also... I heard a song by The Fray on a CHRISTIAN radio station the other day. I know The Fray is secular and have some pretty bad lyrics and videos. WHAT DON"T PEOPLE GET?
ok.... that was a lot longer than I wanted it to be. :P I hope it makes sense!
Thanks for stopping by. HUGS!
Love ya!
Amanda
http://superangelsblog.com
I think it's a 'preference' thing...I could not handle Rap...
And I really don't prefer Southern Gospel. (Don't throw rocks.
:) Both irritate me. LOL.
*Most songs today, including christian worship, are focused on "me" and "my" needs and wants, not on glorifying and praising God.*
Great point!! It's not about us! It's all about HIM and what He has done for us!!
What in the world? Where are all the comments???
THis blogger is acting really weird. Everytime I post a comment, and old one comes back and the new one doesn't show up. ???!!!
?????????
??????????
????????????
????????
???????
Testing123
What you miss when you're busy working.....
Discussions like this has been going on from the beginnings of "Christian Rock". I know, I was there... :) There are probably as many opinions as there are people on this topic. My input would be just another opinion, but, since that's what this is all about.... here goes.
"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." I John 4:1 The Spirit of God that dwells within us is to be our Guide, Teacher, discerner and we're also given the promise that He will lead us into all truth. If something doesn't feel "just right", if your Spirit does not agree, then stay away.
Personally, I don't like/enjoy songs where the music is so overpowering that I only catch a word here or there. How can the message be heard, when literally, you can't hear it??? Faith cometh by "hearing" and "hearing" by the Word of God.
The point could be made, and I've said it myself that I would rather have young people listening to "Christian rock" that secular rock. The reality is, not all Christian kids are going to listen to what you or I may consider the best type of music. My hope would be that they could get something positive, uplifting, something that points to Christ.
And, there are many unchurched kids that would never, ever listen to anything that remotely sounded like Christian music let alone set foot in a church. But, they might hear a Christian rock band on secular radio, like the sound, and buy a CD. And just maybe, while listening to the CD they might hear something that would witness to them. Can that be completely bad? They are reaching an audience that I will never be able to reach.
So that I'm not mistaken, I do feel strongly that there should never be any language, action, or dress that would hurt the heart of our holy God.
At different times in my life, I have been ministered to by many different styles and types of songs.
Phil. 4:8 came to mind, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praisethink on these things.
blogger is in the process of updating, they will be back. And depending on your browser settings you may need to refresh or delete your cookies...
Oh, and go check out randywebb.net (it's changed) and let me know what you think.... I value your opinion..
Love,
Cuz
Can I say ....aaaaarrrrgggggg, I just spent 20 minutes on a post, hit publish, and *poof* it disappeared. Oh well, it was a really good post too....
Two of my post have now been eaten... shall we go for three???
We crashed the comments section!!!!!
Way to go everyone!
It's like the Bermuda triangle of comments!
the computers are eating our comments, next they'll come straight after us...
the comment eating computer uprising has begun
....
...
Wowy
Might as well go for 40...
Yay!!!!
Too many comments for Blogger to handle?
Randy, how do I delete cookies?
>:( :*( :/
WHERE??!!
I think this is driving me crazzzyyy!!!!!
why aren't the comments coming back? WHY??!!
Randy!! I've never seen you speechless before!!! :)
Holly-
Would you be open to using your post as a discussion topic on my blog? Full credit for the post would go to you, but I would like to be using other people's ideas, and I think this would be a great one to use.
Let me know.
God bless- Arya
This reminds me of what happened when there was a scratch on an LP. For those youngin's who don't know what this is: round black objects that you put on a stereo, pick up and move the needle over, set it down and "wala" music plays. Randy's last post must have been caught in a scratched groove and ... ... ... ... ... ...
Sorry about the "..." posts.
It' took eight of them to get everybody's comments to show up. Of course if this one doesn't show up I am not putting in 8 more...
Hey you,
I had a great time at camp! It was great seeing you guys again.
lol. You like to copy my posts, don't you? I really don't feel like typing out a big long comment right now..... besides I think you already know mt opinion.
Post a Comment